Friday 7 May 2010

Last Man Standing


No traffic again today, and the skies are silent.  I walk urgently between the rows of desks, and the faint keyboard chatter reminds me, It’s Complicated, as if I needed any reminding.  As usual the room is dark to save power, but the passageway is well-enough lit by the glowing screens.  The face of each civil servant wears a slight smile, reminiscent of the Kouros smile of archaic Greek statues.

I knock timidly on the door, then enter quietly.

“Prime Minister,” I begin, “everything has ground to a halt.  The country – the world – is in stasis.  We must have action!  Only you can save us now.”

“Mmm,” the Prime Minister murmured, without looking up, and I saw then that her Marilyn Monroe lips were set in that Kouros smile, her Caligula-like eyes gazing dreamily at her Facebook home page.  “I like,” she said.  “They like.  WE ALL LIKE…..….”    :-(



Copyright © Donnie Ross 2010

3 comments:

  1. Caligula.... Is the next scene that she rips out the unborn child from your woom and eat it? ...I want very much to belive that. I like the story, but I do not AGREE with the Prime Minister being a female with caligula-like eyes,thats a nasty stroke to my sex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, you're ahead of me as usual. And I didn't mean to stroke your sex. But this is a quote from Francois Mitterand describing Mrs Thatcher, and after all, 40 Million Frenchpersons can't be rowing.

    ReplyDelete